This is my favourite season. As a gardener, I am grateful for the #WealthOfChoice of garden centres & greenhouses in our area.
With spring arriving, so do our new volunteer Board members. I want to thank Garry Douglas, Chair of the Nominating Committee for working so hard to get a wonderful mix of volunteers from a wide range of industry sectors to represent the members for the 2018-19 year. We calculated the average age of our Board members and it is 43 – young for any organization, especially a nonprofit. We are very proud to have well over 50% female representation on our Board of Directors, I follow a long line of female Presidents. Cindy Windover has been a terrific role model and I am so pleased that she has chosen to remain on the Board as our Past President. Thank you, Cindy!
At every Board meeting, we review a number of action items from our Strategic Plan. One of our goals is: “To better serve its members’ unique interests in the region, Kawartha Chamber of Commerce & Tourism will form new partnerships and strengthen existing ones.” Staff and/or Board volunteers had a busy month attending several meetings and events to serve our members, including:
- Jobs, Economic Development & Investment Council (JEDI) with Minister Maryam Monsef, MP
- Buckhorn District Tourism Association (BDTA)
- Tourism Advisory Committee (TAC) – Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development
- Economic Development & Business Committee (EDBC) – Selwyn Township
- Lakefield Merchants
- Rural Women’s Summit
- Peterborough County Council
- Entrepreneurship Roundtable with Minister Jeff Leal, MPP
- Eastern Ontario Development Program – Community Futures Peterborough
- Abbeyfield House Society of Lakefield – public meeting
I saw this on a sign in Selwyn Township recently “we can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone” – let’s all do our part. I encourage you to join one of our committees and help our communities thrive & prosper. Contact the Chamber office for more details.